Friday, January 31, 2014

The Bucket List and a GT86

There are certain items that would appear on most bucket lists, some are mundane, such as buying a house, some are exhilarating, like hitting Tony Abbott with a rolled up news paper and some are downright stupid like wasting that said newspaper on a now former South Australian Premier instead.

For example; being a child of the nineties, I have always wanted to meet Liam Howlett, which I have done, several times now. He actually knows me by name, last time I checked. Other items on my list include skydiving - after being massively inspired at a Austrian drinks company publicity stunt and a team of engineers so good at their jobs even NASA got jealous.

But once again; that nineties child shines through when we get to the patch of road known as: Mount Panorama. You see; from before I can recall, I have always watched 'the great race' so there is an amount of installed romance about the place, add to that; my mid life guiding light Ben Collins stating in his overtly non-controversial book 'The Man in the White Suit" that Bathurst was and is "the second hardest race in the world, behind LeMans" that I really needed to tick this one off the list.

Now; one does not simply arrive at the mountain in a Korean box of snot and decaying human cells, so I set out to locate something a little bit more invigorating. The end result to those investigations resulted in a car that got a lot of media attention in 2012-13 the Toyota/Subaru BRZ/GT86.

Now no matter what; when you get handed the keys to a rented (read: owner-less) two door, rear wheel drive, bright orange hatch that was named car of the year from the characterture of his own existence Jeremy Clarkson it is pretty easy to fall in to the trap of confirmation bias. And rightfully so; driving the GT86 while lacking pedigree and heritage of a moronic bogan built V8 was, without doubt, one of the greatest driving experiences of my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment